So you've had a surgery and gotta stay in bed. Boo f#ckin' hoo, enjoy it baby! Think about all the past times your alarm has gone off and you think, "I'd trade anything to sleep in"...well now you can because you're recovering!
1. It's temporary! Thank God it's a surgery that will make you feel better and improve the quality of your life. Nothing's been amputated off and you will be back out there before you know it. So...enjoy the down time. Rest your body. Quiet your mind. I'm sure you have 1/2 the amount of laundry right now since you're not exercising so less clothes to wash and fold. It's a built in excuse during recovery to be lazy. Hey- It's what the Doctor ordered right :)
2. Internet Stalk! Yes Lol you now have the downtime to see what your loser ex is up to, find music to add to your playlists, catch up on what dude the Bachelorette is banging this week on Hulu or just dick around on Facebook.
3. Get your nails did: I'm sure it's uncomfortable bending over to paint those tootsies so go pamper yourself. No need to grow claws during this time. Get a mani/pedi guilt free and enjoy someone doing it for you.
4. Soak up some D! Take your pup to the park or just sit outside with him and get fresh air and sunshine. Cool people are always wanting to pet a dog and who knows they might end up petting you next! The vit D will help get your endorphins flowing.
5. Cry if you need to. Sometimes you just gotta get it out. Maybe alone though because most people have a hideous cry face! The emotional release it very cleansing. Holding it in will only amplify the emotions and they'll tend to come out in public and embarrass the shit out of you. Lol. Like at a grocery store yelling at a kid to stop touching the apples you're looking to buy.
6. Just breathe: Whatever sort of breath work or meditation practice that works best for you, I'd do! Meditation has similar effects to exercise; reducing stress, calming your system and just makes you feel a sense of well being. This all helps with healing and you'll be less of an uptight asshole.
How do you cheer yourself up? Tweet me at @JillAnenberg